[su_button url=”https://lehighvalleytreeservices.com/contact/” style=”flat” background=”#1f4418″ size=”9″ text_shadow=”0px 0px 0px #ffffff” class=”align-right”]CONTACT US TODAY
FOR A FREE QUOTE[/su_button]
Your house’s front and back yards contribute greatly to your home’s overall appearance. A nice garden right out front provides an excellent backdrop when you want to finish that summer novel out on the patio. A beautiful backyard garden, on the other hand, makes for an excellent dinner party location or even just a play area for your pets.
Investing a lot of time and effort into landscaping is a high priority then for many homeowners. If you think an aesthetically pleasing garden for your home is an endeavor worth pursuing, read on for these 10 tips to get started.
1. Water the Plants Early
In the early hours of the morning, the hot sun becomes an excellent source of energy for the plants but also evaporates away any water from the soil. Schedule watering the garden before the sun comes up to maximize absorption by the flowers.
2. Choose the Right Colors
There’s an entire field of study on color theory for gardening, but the only strategy you need to know well is finding a good balance between warm and cool colors. Try to use a mixture, as a monochrome garden usually isn’t as satisfying.
- Warm colors like red or orange are more vibrant and stand out in the garden. Use warm-colored flowers to promote a sense of excitement in the viewer.
- Cool colors like blue or purple can make the viewer feel relaxed. These types of flowers are ideal for meditation gardens.
3. Use Mulch
Possibly the most popular gardening resource, mulch is great for improving soil fertility and reducing weed growth. Read up on the many types of mulch and find out which ones are best for your situation. For instance, straw mulch is more useful than hay mulch for reducing weeds since it doesn’t contain as many seeds as hay does.
4. Include Some Evergreens
As beautiful as a rainbow of flowers and shrubs are in the summer, most plants shed by the time winter rolls around. Go for some evergreens to ensure your garden stays lovely throughout the year.
5. Build a Landscaping Walkway
Japanese gardens use walkways to focus the viewers’ gaze into their most beautiful features. Walkways also reduce the amount of wear and tear on the soil caused by walking over it. When building a walkway, remember to include:
- Stepping stones or bricks that match the color and material of your house’s exterior. This strategy ties the garden to the home well.
- Attractive lighting fixtures to illuminate the walkway at night.
6. Keep the Landscape Interesting
Break the monotony of large green grassy spaces by including various accessories throughout the yard. For instance,
- A flower bed. Use smooth, curved stones to mark the edges of a flower bed, which give your garden a more natural look than straight edges.
- A water fixture such as a fountain, which should be made of stone, rock, or any material that blends in with the background.
- Berms, a landscaping term for small mounds decorated with shrubs, trees, and flowers.
7. Include Outdoor Seating
A basic garden bench or patio if applicable can seem more inviting to viewers and give them a chance to take in the sights comfortably.
8. Recycle Equipment
To save money on gardening equipment, recycle household items for the job. Consider for instance:
- Twist ties from the grocery store to keep flowers and vines upright against a fence or stick.
- Vinegar as an herbicide for weeds.
- Empty milk jugs as watering cans.
9. Hide the Artificial Elements
While an air-conditioning unit is useful in the hot summer months, its metal exterior can look ugly against the plants. Covering the unit in a wooden housing can go a long way into making your lawn look more natural, though be careful not to obstruct the fan.
A garden hose, in addition, can be housed in a similar wooden crate when not in use.
10. Know When to Call in the Pros
Landscaping is a rewarding journey but a difficult one that may require specialized equipment and training. For some parts of the job, don’t hesitate to call in a professional landscaping service to help you out.
Make Harmony Your First Choice for Landscaping Services
If you live in the Lehigh Valley, Harmony Tree Services offers tree and stump removal, pruning, and other landscaping services. Give us a call today to learn more.